"What's a Previvor?" some of you may ask. Two years ago I was one, but I didn't know myself.
It was my genetic counselor Maude who first introduced me to the word.
A little bit about FORCE and the CHASE Community Giving Campaign (from Teri Smija):
FORCE is the only national nonprofit organization dedicated to serving the needs of and improving the lives of individuals and families affected by hereditary breast and ovarian cancer. They provide lifesaving information on the latest medical treatment and risk management, resources, and awareness.
Voting on Facebook starts on June 15, 2010 and the lucky 200 winning charities will be announced on July 13, 2010.
What would FORCE do with the money if they won?
- $1,000 delivers the latest in BRCA research and information to 500 families.
- $500 gives 60,000 visitors access to their website for one month.
- $300 provides a scholarship to FORCE’s annual conference to one person that could not otherwise attend.
- $200 provides life-saving information to 100 people through their newsletter.
- $100 provides phone-based support and resources via the Helpline for one month.
- $50 provides a package of informational brochures to doctor’s offices and hospitals.
Just think – if $2250 can do all of that – how much good could be done even if we only place among the bottom 195, and win the lowest amount of $20,000! That’s a whole lot of help, to a whole lot of people!